Transport Scotland has announced an £8 million contract to refurbish five Class 320 trains with Wabtec and train owners Evershot Rail.
Funded by the Scottish Government, the contract is aimed at tackling over-crowding on peak services in Strathclyde.
Transport minister Humza Yousaf said that the three-carriage Class 320s will deliver better trains and more seats for passengers and also provide more job security for what he called an ‘important employer in Kilmarnock.’
The scope of the £8 million upgrade covers:
- A full interior refresh in line with the ScotRail branding;
- Complete internal refurbishment including repaint of all surfaces, new flooring, tables and new seat moquette;
- New fully accessible toilet;
- At-seat power sockets;
- Two dedicated cycle spaces;
- Energy efficient LED lighting;
- Enhanced CCTV system for passenger safety and security.
The refurbishment is expected to begin in November 2017, with a phased introduction from the summer of 2018 onwards across Strathclyde north and south electric services.