Home HSEQ Croydon tram crash: 7 safety improvements following the tragedy

Croydon tram crash: 7 safety improvements following the tragedy

Transport for London (TfL) has revealed the seven safety improvements that have been made following the Croydon tram crash.

Marking the one year anniversary of the tragedy, London’s transport commissioner Mike Brown said that those who lost their lives will be forever remembered.

Seven passengers died and more than 50 were left injured when a two-carriage tram derailed and overturned at Sandilands junction on the London Tramlink system. The incident happened at around 6.10am on November 9, 2016.

He added that since the incident, work has been undertaken to ensure that ‘such a tragedy never happens again.’


Looking for a new job in the UK rail industry? Click here to begin your journey.


The safety improvements made by TfL are as follows:

  • Additional speed restrictions and associated signage have been installed near Sandilands and at three other locations on the tram network;
  • Introduction of a permanent speed reduction across the tram network, meaning the maximum speed trams can travel is now 70km/h (previously 80km/h);
  • Enhanced chevron signs have been installed at the four sites with significant bends to provide an additional visual cue for drivers. The number of speed signs has been increased and additional lineside digital signage will provide added speed warnings to drivers;
  • An in-cab driver protection device that detects and prevents fatigue and distraction has been trialled and is now fitted to all of the network’s trams. The Aslef union has said it supports the measures to improve safety but that its drivers were not consulted over these plans and will hold a ballot to decide on potential industrial action;
  • TfL is working with safety experts to test options to strengthen the glass fitted to trams;
  • Development of an in-cab driver alert system for monitoring and managing tram speed is underway;
  • CCTV recording equipment has been replaced and upgraded.

In his full statement the London transport commissioner said: “We will forever remember those who lost their lives or were injured in the tragedy at Sandilands.

“As we mark the first anniversary, our thoughts remain with all those affected. We continue to offer all the support we can, and to work with the Croydon community that has shown such strength during a truly awful time.

“Since the incident we have been working continually to introduce additional safety measures on the tram network and ensure that such a tragedy never happens again.”

TfL continues to work the Rail Accident Investigation Branch as they complete their investigation and have committed to introducing all of its recommendations.

The transport body added that it is proactively staying in contact with those affected by the incident and that support is ongoing. To date more than £1 million has been paid for counselling, rehabilitation, compensation and other supporting activities.

The TfL Sarah Hope line, run by specially trained staff, remains available to all those affected and continues to provide help with counselling and other support.


Read more: This is what Leeds station could look like after £500m revamp


 

Previous articleService with a smile
Next articleStar in the IT crowd

Recommended