It’s almost that time again. The night that everyone’s been waiting for. The RailStaff Awards is nearly here!
Once again, the rail industry’s movers and shakers will gather to applaud the tremendous work of everyone who keeps the network running, especially those nominated for a coveted RailStaff Award.
The Awards become more magnificent each year, and 2023’s event will feature the most incredible array of entertainment to date.
A party like no other
Attendees will be dazzled by astounding aerial performers, heart-stopping high wire acts and fearless fire dancers, and a captivating grand finale.
Guests will experience exhilarating entertainment, fabulous food, and an electric atmosphere from the moment they arrive. They’ll get the full VIP treatment, with all the decadence and indulgence that brings. On arrival, party goers will bask in the warm glow of the party venue, giving them a glimpse of what lies within. Once inside, they’ll be greeted by sparkling golds and dancing beams of light, and the celebrations in full flow.
As they make their way to the main bar area, the electric atmosphere of the night will become apparent, as the bars exude endless, fast-moving energy. Professional mixologists will create iconic drinks, while the main bars will offer traditional beers, spirits, and wines.
As guests take their seats for dinner, the focus will move to the main stage as the evening’s entertainment gathers pace. World-class circus entertainers perform the impossible with daring poise and grace to a backdrop of flames and mesmerising lighting.
Following a delicious meal and plentiful conversation with old and new friends, the Awards ceremony begins.
The RailStaff Awards is hosted this year by none other than TV and Radio Broadcaster, Gethin Jones.
A firm family favourite, Gethin started his career on Wales’ S4C before taking on the iconic role of a Blue Peter presenter. His stint on the time-honoured show saw him break four world records, complete three death-defying tasks, and fulfil the ambition of a lifetime by flying with the Red Arrows.
Since then, Gethin has appeared in countless high-profile shows including Strictly Come Dancing, BBC1’s Morning Live, as well as the One Show and Celebrity Masterchef. He’s a self-confessed rugby anorak and hosts this year’s official Rugby World Cup podcast.
Gethin will guide us through the evening’s events, making this special night all the more memorable.
The categories in full
- Apprentice or Newcomer of the Year
- Award for Charity
- Customer Service Award
- Depot & Freight Staff Award
- Digital Railway Person or Team Award
- Health & Wellbeing Award
- HR, Diversity & Inclusion Person or Team
- Learning, Development & Investing in
- People Award
- Lifetime Achievement
- Rail Engineer of the Year
- Rail Manager of the Year
- Rail Person of the Year
- Rail Team of the Year
- Recruitment & Talent Acquisition Person
- or Team
- Safety Person or Team Award
- Samaritans Lifesaver
- Station Staff Award
- Sustainability & Net Zero Person or Team Award
The rail industry covers countless job roles which are all represented at the RailStaff Awards, and individuals at all levels are eligible in the event’s 18 categories. The task of deciding on the winners goes to an independent judging panel of 9 individuals, plucked from throughout the industry and our category sponsorship judges. A selection of our judges are listed below:
- Glynis Appelbe – HR Director, G&W UK/Europe Region/Freightliner
- Julie Bentley – CEO, Samaritans
- Fiona Brunskill – Chief People Officer, Transport for London
- Karl Gilmore – Rail Infrastructure Director, Transport for Wales
- Jo Gretton – CEO, Telent
- Edward Hodson – Chair, IOSH Railway Group
- Amy ‘Bessie’ Matthews – Rail Person of the Year Winner 2022
- Rob Morton – Managing Director Route Services, Network Rail
- Bonnie Price – Chairwoman, Young Rail Professionals
- John Sheehy – CEO, Transport Benevolent Fund CIO
- Richard Thorp – Director of Engineering & Sustainability,
- High Speed 1 Ltd
- Alan Wilson – Managing Director, Train’d Up
- Mark Coleman – Managing Director, GeoAccess
- Samantha Facey – Health, Safety, and Security Director, Govia Thameslink Railway
- Wayne Thompson – Technical Directory, Inspire Structures Ltd
- Andy Moss – Chief Customer Officer, City & Guilds
- Matt Atkins – Editor, RailStaff
- David Shirres – Editor, Rail Engineer
Dance the night away
With all the night’s winners announced, the real party can begin. As casino tables open, indoor fairground rides burst into life, and the dancefloor waits for those with the energy.
So, dig out your glad rags and prepare for the night of the year. The industry’s biggest celebration is just weeks away.
Tickets for the RailStaff Awards are now available for teams and individuals, so book now to ensure you don’t miss out.
Voting and Nominations close on Sunday 22 October.
Finalists are announced on 25 October.
Make sure you nominate your RailStaff Superstar today!