The event of the year is nearly upon us. On 24 November the great and good of the rail industry will convene to celebrate the incredible work of those teams and individuals nominated for a RailStaff Award.
Running since 2007, the Awards have got bigger and better each year, and 2022’s extravaganza is sure to wow everyone who attends.
On the big night, guests will be welcomed into a bustling alpine party village, complete with log cabins, entering the scene through a snow-dusted, fir tree forest. Once inside, they can meet friends for cocktails in the venue’s double-storey ski lodge or make their way straight to the main bar to mingle, before being seated at their table for a delicious meal.
Fantastic entertainment and the Award presentations will follow, but the real party begins once every winner has been announced. As casino tables open, indoor fairground rides burst into life and the dance floor welcomes those with the energy to dance the night away.
Timings for the evening
18.00 VIP Guest Arrival & Drinks Reception with canapes
18.30 Guest Arrival & Drinks Reception
21.00 Entertainment & Awards Presentation (with interval)
23.00 Disco & Fairground Rides
00.00 Midnight Breakfast
Your host for the night
The RailStaff Awards is honoured to be joined this year by comedian and actor Ed Byrne who will be your compère for the evening. Well known as a regular face on Mock the Week, Ed has enjoyed a long career in comedy, enjoying huge critical and popular success in the UK and Ireland.
As well as appearing on television, radio, and the big screen, Ed has performed on hit tours and countless sold-out stints at the Edinburgh Fringe, being nominated for the Perrier Award in 1998. Since then, he has achieved the comedian’s dream, developing a huge international following and performing to sold-out venues across the globe.
The categories in full:
- Apprentice of the Year
- Award for Charity
- Covid Hero – Outstanding Individual Award
- Covid Heroes – Outstanding Team Award
- Customer Service Award
- Depot Staff Award
- Digital Railway Person (S&T) or Team Award
- Graduate or Newcomer Award
- Health & Wellbeing Award
- HR, Diversity & Inclusion Person or Team Award
- Learning & Development Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Marketing & Communications Team Award
- Rail Civils / Infrastructure Team Award
- Rail Engineer of the Year
- Rail Manager of the Year
- Rail Person of the Year
- Rail Project Manager Award
- Rail Team of the Year
- Recruitment & Talent Acquisition Person or Team of the Year
- Safety Person or Team Award
- Samaritans Lifesaver Award
- Station Staff Award
From rail managers to customer service assistants, apprentices to training managers, the full breadth and depth of job roles are represented in submissions for the 23 awards categories, and we received a record 143,000 votes to decide this year’s finalists. The task of deciding the winners now goes to a judging panel of 21 individuals, plucked from throughout the industry. The panel includes:
- Adeline Ginn MBE – Marketing, Legal & EDI Director, Egis Transport Solutions
- Dr Jenny Illingsworth – Strategic Development Manager (NCATI), BCRRE at University of Birmingham
- Dyan Crowther – Chief Executive Officer, High Speed 1
- Fiona Westcough – National Chair 2022/23, Young Rail Professionals
- Martin Tugwell – Chief Executive, Transport for the North
- Matt Atkins – Editor, RailStaff
- Neil Robertson – CEO, NSAR
- Peter White – RailStaff Awards, Rail Person of the Year Winner 2019
- Tim Hedley-Jones – Executive Director, Railway Heritage Trust
- Andy Moss – Managing Director, Employer Solutions, City & Guilds
- Ashley Spence – Company Director, Ontrak Recruitment
- David Diesbergen – CEO, D2 Rail
- Glynis Appelbe – HR Director, G&W UK/Europe Region
- James Andrews – Head of Engineering, Amey
- Jo Gretton – CEO, Telent Technology Services,
- John Jebson – OHSE Director, McGinley Support Services (Infrastructure) Ltd
- John Sheehy – Chief Executive Officer, Transport Benevolent Fund CIO
- Julie Bentley – Chief Executive Officer, Samaritans
- Kamal Basra – Managing Director, Bodyguard Workwear Ltd
- Kenny Burton – Rail Director, Resourcing Solutions
- Mark Coleman – Managing Director, GeoAccess
- Mike Morgan-Batney – Communications Business Partner, Heathrow Express
See you there!
Now all there is to do is dig out your tuxedos and cocktail dresses and keep your fingers crossed – the industry’s biggest celebration of its people is just weeks away.
Tickets for the RailStaff Awards are now available for teams and individuals, so make sure you book now to ensure you don’t miss out.